Monday, August 22, 2005

The Cats


The Luckster Posted by Picasa

Not only have we moved to New York, bought an apartment and endured all of this ‘Co-op’ stuff, but now it seems I need to start planning for our return to Australia (soon-ish)

So, I talked to the vet today, because I like to be organized, and they say that the cats have to have rabies blood tests and other tests 6 month prior, on top of this they both have to be in quarantine at least 30 days in Australia – there’s no Rabies in Australia, so ---‘Customs’, well they’re a little freaky about bringing that into the Country – can’t imagine why?

Don’t even try bringing a packet of lifesavers into Australia! (I learned the hard way).

We have two cats – one called Lucky who was is actually Jess’ cat. I didn’t like him much at all when we first acquired Lucky (Lux) by default, In fact I thought him an arrogant pratt. He’s nearly ten years old now.

(We have another cat “Boo-Boo Pocket Head”, but I’ll talk about her later).

Then one day (call it an epiphany) I returned from work in Melbourne and just fell in love with him.

So when my husband and I were asked to moved from Melbourne to Chicago, of course I insisted we had to take him with us.

Let me just say he’s been pretty pissed off with us ever since!

The poor cat got lost in the State of Washington, with the pet mover people, and then finally arrived in Chicago, lived under our spare bed for about 3 months. Refused to emerge.

When he became really hungry one day, he came out from under the bed, he saw that it wasn’t such a bad house, and got just a little bit comfortable.

Then we had to move him to New York City – so we moved him to Manhattan on yet another plane. He then had three different ‘sub-let’ apartments to explore before we bought and moved into our own apartment.

He finally moved in and was happy, but now we’re going to to have to move his big fat bum back to Australia.

(By the way, the big fat bum thing – this apparently, is a medical condition – the vet basically told me I was a bad mother! – It’s not just me being mean; he’s really on prescription diet food – because he no longer moves! And I won’t let him outside. See photos).

I have a girlfriend (and she knows who she is - - “I’m Jake the Peg”), who would offer the advice to put Lux out of his misery and get a new one.

Not going to happen.

I love this cat.

So when we move the ‘Luckster’ back to Australia on the 747 (hopefully it’s on the plane and not via surface mail), will he remember that he used to be an ‘outdoor cat’?

Will he remember to avoid traffic, will he be looking the wrong way on the street?

Will he notice the cars driving on the wrong side of the road?

We’ll see!

Here’s to you Luckster, you big fat Pog!!

No comments: