Saturday, August 20, 2005

PGA Championship

Phil's 'chip'

Let me start by saying golf is ok. I don’t mind playing, or even watching that much, but would not go out of my way.

My parents back in Australia are really into it, and they are good.

R and I each have a set of clubs (currently collecting dust in the basement in NYC) and we used to play quite a bit in Chicago, but I would be lying if I did not admit that my main motivation for playing golf is actually to drive those little white electrically powered cars, trying to drive as close to the hole and tempting the ‘golf police’ to arrest me - - ahh good times!

Anyway, we were lucky enough to be invited to the last day of the PGA Championship on Sunday in Baltusrol, New Jersey.

It was a whole production just to get there, we had to catch the train at Penn Station - - early - - I was still asleep I think (they have great ‘Auntie Anne’s Pretzels’ at Penn Station, so that woke me up for a bit). Then we had to deal with the lines of people to catch the shuttle to the golf course, then the security and bag checks to get into the grounds. Katie doesn't do 'waiting' well.

But I have to say, it was worth it, and it was so much fun.

I saw Tiger Woods up close.

I was most fascinated with the people who set up their little chairs and wait with their little picnics for their favourite player to go by. Weather-wise it was so, so hot, and I admit that after doing the obligatory walk, I retired to the air-conditioned tent to watch the rest of it on the TV - and have a little chardy.

Our host gave me a pair of binoculars and for about half an hour I was on the balcony looking through the wrong end, and wondering why the players were so far away that they looked like they were playing golf in Canada. (I don’t mind admitting I’m technically challenged!)

R followed the two Aussie players around a bit, then there was a “thunderstorm” (woosies), so there was no outcome that day. R was talking all night about Phil Mickleson doing a “chip” (what on earth is a ‘chip’)?

I just nodded and said “yep.. saw that!!, If there’s going to be a chip, then Phil’s gonna do it” (I always go overboard, gives me away every time). R is so onto me, he just told me to keep reading the New York Times!

We weren’t allowed to take cameras into the grounds, which is a pity, we could have got a great shot of Tiger losing, they even confiscated mobile phones on entry. They had a little cloak-room for cell phones

It was great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify, and to confirm the apparent disregard for anything I might have talked about the golf. I'm sure Phil Mickelson's chip on the 18th (on the Monday) was great but the big news for me was being 5 yards behind Steve Elkington when he chipped in on the 11th hole, to take the lead. Sadly he didn't win, but was doing great at that stage.

Hey, Elkington, Mickelson, easily mistaken if you are sitting in your ivory golf cart.

Luckyboo said...

Ok, ok, I only went because you wanted to go!!!

It's easy to mix up those two names, their surnames both end in 'on'.

You can't expect me to concentrate all of the time dear.

It was fun though.